Ultrasound is superior to MRI and equal to or better than electrodiagnostic techniques in evaluating the median nerve. The nerve is also predictably injured/compressed in specific locations and can be evaluated using the standard protocol listed above. While there are additional protocols provided by other reputable organizations, the participant of this course will have the necessary knowledge combined with the requisite skills in performing ultrasound to provide results with high sensitivity and specificity.
- Shon HC, Park JK, Kim DS, Kang SW, Kim KJ, Hong SH. Supracondylar process syndrome: two cases of median nerve neuropathy due to compression by the ligament of Struthers. J Pain Res. 2018 Apr 16;11:803-807. doi: 10.2147/JPR.S160861. PMID: 29713193; PMCID: PMC5907893.
- Sonography of the Pronator Teres: Normal and Pathologic AppearancesViviane Créteur MD, Afarine Madani MD, Ph.D.,Azadeh Sattari MD, Stefano Bianchi MD First published: 03 July 2017 https://doi.org/10.1002/jum.14306Citations: 8 Sourcing for where?
- Olenick, Ł., Podgórski, M., Polguj, M. et al. Anatomical variations of the pronator teres muscle in a Central European population and its clinical significance. Anat Sci Int 93, 299–306 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12565-017-0413-y
- Justin T. Mhoon MD,Vern C. Juel MD,Lisa D. Hobson-Webb MD First published: 30 April 2012 https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.23426Citations: 95)
- Pierre-Jerome C, Smitson RD Jr, Shah RK, Moncayo V, Abdelnoor M, Terk MR. MRI of the median nerve and median artery in the carpal tunnel: Prevalence of their anatomical variations and clinical significance. Surg Radiol Anat 2010;32:315-22.
- Bayat M, Bagheri Z, Raeissadat SA, Rayegani SM, Ahmadzadeh A, Shirani F. Diagnostic Value of Ultrasound for Detecting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Three-Arm Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography. 2022;38(5):411-418. doi:10.1177/87564793221092982
- Sheila G Lindley, James M Kleinert, Prevalence of anatomic variations encountered in the elective carpal tunnel. The Journal of Hand Surgery,Volume 28, Issue 5,2003,Pages 849-855,ISSN 0363-5023,
- Löppönen P, Hulkkonen S, Ryhänen J. Proximal Median Nerve Compression in the Differential Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2022; 11(14):3988. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm11143988
- Klauser AS, Halpern EJ, De Zordo T, Feuchtner GM, Arora R, Gruber J, Martinoli C, Löscher WN. Carpal tunnel syndrome assessment with US: value of additional cross-sectional area measurements of the median nerve in patients versus healthy volunteers. Radiology. 2009 Jan;250(1):171-7. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2501080397. Epub 2008 Nov 26. PMID: 19037017.